Tuesday, May 27, 2008

An Excellent Book

I'm reading The Abs Diet right now, and am learning so much! I highly recommend the book. I actually got the one specifically for women, which I really like (neon green cover). The success stories he highlights are all women, and there is stuff in there specific to women (like getting back in shape after pregnancy).

One of the statistics I read about this morning was this: we should be aiming for a waist size of less than 31.5 inches, and the average waist size is more like 35 inches. Remember my "before" numbers? I have some work to do.

So, why shoot for 31.5 inches or less? It's not about vanity, it's about statistics. As a persons waist size creeps above 31.5 inches (or, in my case, LEAPS above 31.5 inches), so does their risk for various health issues...heart disease, back pain, stroke, diabetes, sexual dysfunction, sleep apnea...even carpal tunnel syndrome!

I'm feeling motivated again. I find that if it's all about looking good in a bathing suit, I'm not very motivated. But living a long, healthy, energized life? That motivates me.

No comments: