Friday, May 23, 2008

A Conversation With A Trainer

Before I became pregnant with my youngest child...let's see, that was about a year and a half ago...I had a conversation with a trainer at my gym. He said some things that really stuck with me, so I thought I'd share.

- First, he said I was a "skinny fat person". I had to laugh...never heard that term before. But it makes perfect sense. To look at me, most people would not call me fat. They'd probably say I'm fairly thin. But the amount of fat I'm carrying around on this relatively thin frame is way out of proportion. It's much too high. A large percentage of my body weight is fat. I'm a skinny fat person!

- Next, he gave me a quick look and said that my posture is messed up. I'll tell ya...if it was messed up then, it's even worse now. I can feel it in my back and neck and shoulders. I'm not quite sure what to do about that. I hope that with more exercise, my body will just naturally go back to a healthier posture. **Proper Form while exercising is going to me critical to get that done** Otherwise, I'll just be training my body to stay in this lousy posture.

- Then he had me give him my brief history. The most important physical aspects of my history is that I've been pregnant or nursing a baby practically non stop for the past 7 years. 7 YEARS! He looked me in the eye and said something I'll never forget, "You're malnourished." What?! How can that be? His thought was that for the past 7 years, my body has been taking the best of everything I put into my body and gives it to a baby either in utero or through milk. My body, in the meantime, has not been getting the nutrients it needs. I'm malnourished! And what does a human body do when it is stressed? It puts on fat because fat is a protective mechanism.

So I'm a skinny, fat, malnourished, slouching woman. Just great. Let's see what I can do about that...

1 comment:

Laura said...

I am all those things, except skinny (although I have a small bone structure, which just makes my situation worse)! I have a nifty scale that measures body fat % as well as weight, and I like to think it's exaggerating the body fat %... Until I see a photo of myself. Ugh.

I'm currently trying the low carb approach to eating, which seems to work for me. I have all these plans to exercise, but I need to be a little more committed on that front.

I love your other blog and was so proud of you when you took on the Oprah message boards.

I will keep checking in you here, and rooting for you! Maybe you'll serve as an encouragement to me on the health front as well as the spiritual front.