Wednesday, June 25, 2008

More On BMI

I've been thinking more about the Body Mass Index today. It bothers me a bit...assigning people to categories of "normal", "overweight", or "obese" based only on height and weight.

What about the ratio of fat to muscle? What about those with "large frames"?

I read a bit more on the site that I referred you to earlier (which had the wrong link. sorry. it's fixed now). They talk about measuring BMI in athletes with low fat and high muscle. I thought it was interesting. It seems to me that using the BMI doesn't apply to everyone.

If you want to read their FAQ section, click HERE. I found it interesting and entertaining...is "fatness" really a word?!

P.S. My spell-checker didn't pick up "fatness" as a problem. Maybe it is a word. Who knew!!

No comments: