Wednesday, June 25, 2008

In Search Of Protein

Hubby and I were talking about making breakfast for the kids the other day. We've been out of one of our favorite staples: little smokies. Pop a couple in the micro, and viola! Instant breakfast sausage! He asked me what I do for protein without them.

It got me thinking...and label searching.

In my lay-woman's opinion, there are two things that are crucial to feeling satisfied instead of hungry all day: Fiber and Protein.

Fiber is bulky, so it literally "fills" me up. It takes up space in the cavernous abyss that is my stomach. Fiber is best found in...you guessed it...fruits, veggies, and whole grains. Why, oh why, can't it be found in Snickers bars and ice cream?

Protein has more to do with blood sugar levels. When I eat protein with a meal, it helps my body metabolize the sugar from my meal over a longer period of time instead of in one big spike...only to be followed by a crash characterized by shaky hands, feeling a bit weak, tiredness, and hunger. And in me? Grumpiness. Serious grumpiness....which leads to my eating handful after handful of m&m's. Not a good thing.

So, where can I find some good protein? I searched my pantry and fridge today for some options. Here's what I found:

1/2 cup dry oatmeal = 5 g
1 6 oz cup yogurt = 5 g
1 extra large egg= 7 g protein
1 oz cheddar = 7 g
1 cup skim milk = 9 g
Flat Out Bread= 9 g
1/2 cup black beans = 9 g
about 1/2 can canned salmon = 12 g
about 1/2 cup canned tuna = 15 g
1 scoop (24 g) whey protein powder = 18 g

Is anyone surprised? I was! I was especially surprised by how little was in yogurt and eggs, and how much was in oatmeal and milk.

You know all the recent ads about milk helping you lose weight? I think I might have just gotten to the bottom of it! Drink milk with a meal, feel satisfied longer, eat less, lose weight. Yippee!

As a side note, I've been bringing milk back into my diet recently. I took a break because it seemed to be a trigger for Thomas's eczema. But I'm drinking it again, and his skin is fine.

So I'm gonna start drinking it with every meal! And I'm going to be even more of a fanatic when it comes to making my kids finish their milk. Geesh...we already go through 4 gallons a week in this house!

Anyone want to contribute to my "got milk" fund? Email me and I'll let you know how you can send the cash! :)

P.S. You can buy a giganto-tub of whey protein at Walmart for about $30. It seems expensive, but it lasts forever. I add it to smoothies, oatmeal, and sometimes yogurt. I like the vanilla flavor.

1 comment:

The Mom said...

There is a lot of hype over here (England) about people who have high calcium in their diets being thinner than those who don't; and also those who have big breakfasts apparently lose weight better and for longer than those who don't

Sigh. I can't stand milk (bleughhh!) and never eat breakfast.

So I'm struggling against the statistics to try to lose weight.

And by the way, your BMI is pretty impressive; tho I take your point about healthy eating. Health is more than just a number on a scale.