Monday, July 14, 2008

Small Victory

I was determined to have a nutritious lunch today. I made myself a wrap with lettuce, hummus, red onion, and turkey on a piece of Flat Out Bread. I also had some baby carrots, and dipped them in hummus. And of course, there was a Diet Pepsi to drink. I know, I know, aspartame and all it's evils. Hey, I'm doing baby steps here.

From a nutrition standpoint, pretty darn good! Lots of veggies, lean protein, and fiber.

I sat and looked at my plate, and really wished that I had some nachos in front of me instead. I got past that thought though, and just looked at the food from a volume perspective. Is this enough food for me? Will I still be hungry? Is this too much food? I try to envision the size of my stomach...does this seem like a good amount of food for me? It seemed a bit on the "too much" side, but at least it was "too much" veggies, instead of "too much" fat and sugar. I dug in.

I ate slowly. Not because I know that it's healthy to eat slowly so that I can give my stomach time to tell my brain it's full. I ate slowly because I was also feeding Thomas, and chasing after Samantha.

There came a point where I was really enjoying my meal, but I realized that I was just plain full. A miracle, I know.

I wish I could say that it was easy for me to put down the food and just stop, but it was work. It was yummy! I was enjoying eating it. I didn't want to be full. On a normal day, I would have just finished it off. On a normal day, I would have said "don't want to waste" to justify eating it.

But then I thought...is it more a shame to waste good food, or to keep putting that food into my body when I know my body doesn't need it?

I decided to choose me. I decided to waste food (I didn't think it would be very good left-over), and to make a decision that was the best for the health of my body.

Now...since I'm being honest, I should confess that I ate a handful of M&M's as I was doing the lunch dishes. But I would have done that even if I had finished my meal. I know...but remember, baby steps!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My finish what's on your plate came from when I was little so I always struggle with that. For me it's also about money wasting. A friend of mine pointed it out to me one day. Waste money on this little portion of food OR waste a part of my gym membership trying to work off what I didn't have to eat in the first place.