Tuesday, October 21, 2008

I'm A Real Runner Now!

Oh, the things I tell myself to get motivated :)

Hubby and I ran a 5K race this past weekend. I had one expectation of myself: run the whole way. Even if I ran at a snail's pace (as running goes), I was NOT going to walk at ALL.

I did it!

And I did it while running at my best pace since high school. In high school I could run a 10 minute mile for 5 miles and barely sweat. Ah, the glory days.

Not really. You couldn't pay me to go back to high school.

A 5K equals 3.1 miles for us backwards folks. And I ran it in 30 minutes, 28 seconds. That translates into an average rate of 9 minutes, 49 seconds. What can I say, I love a good excuse to use my calculator :)

I was going to just make it a slow jog, but my competitiveness got the best of me. Every time someone passed me (which was plenty often), I got a little mad! I found myself kicking pretty hard at the end.

And now...I'm hooked! As we got in the car to go to the race start I was thinking, "This is dumb. We could have just gone for a 5K run and saved our entry fees!" But it was so fun. There is a big difference between going for a run and being in a RACE.

Hubby enjoyed it too. I found him on line searching for training programs for half marathons! I don't know if I'm quite ready for that...but maybe a 10 K :)

3 comments:

Becky Avella said...

I can't wait to join you. Races are so much fun. I know there is a Christmas run, but I'm not sure if I'll be ready yet. Definitely by spring.

Way to go!

Love,
B

Renee Douglas said...

I just ran my first 5K back in April. It was so much fun! You're right, there's definitely a difference between just going for a run and running a race. I hope to be able to participate in our town's Christmas run.

TacoLayo said...

my sis just ran the nike 1/2 marthon in san francisco for the second time....